The main benefits of electronic medical records (EMRs) are saving money and improving patient care. Not only do individual patients benefit, but also the the entire healthcare system does as well, since information is easily shared among all parties who need access.
Among the many benefits of electronic medical records:
- Medical records are easy to share among healthcare providers, which contributes to better decision making and quality of care for the patient.
- Multiple users can access patient records with individual passwords, providing security and accountability since records are created as to who accessed specific patient information.
- Cost savings are realized when administrative tasks are reduced or eliminated such as making copies of records, sending information securely to other healthcare providers, and searching for information.
- The quality of medical records is improved with increased legibility and accuracy. This also reduces the potential for omissions or errors, thereby improving patient care.
- Patient information is up to date with no waiting for records to be updated by hand or transcribed. Any test results can be entered as soon as they are available.
- Duplicate medical testing can be avoided by having all the patient’s medical history available in one place, delivering cost savings to the patient.
- Drug allergies and interactions can be quickly identified and avoided.
- Patient prescriptions can be sent electronically to the pharmacy, increasing accuracy by eliminating transcription errors or legibility issues.
One of the most popular EMR’s is Practice Fusion. Find out more about this FREE EMR and why so many doctors are switching over by clicking the link below: